ACT hosted a Almond Cookie class taught by with Mr. Chiu and a great time was had by all attendees. Pictures from the event are interspersed between the usual recipe steps. If you're in the Seattle-area we hope to see you at our next class!
- Servings: 75 delectable cookies
- Time: 45 minutes prep, 20 minutes baking per sheet
- Recipe (Mandarin)
- 600g (100%*) Cake flour
- 60g (10%) Milk powder
- 420g (70%) Light brown sugar
- 360g (60%) Unsalted butter or pork fat
- 12g (2%) Salt
- 18g (3%) Ammonium carbonate (picture)
- 6g (1%) Baking powder
- 6g (1%) Baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Almond extract
- 1 egg
- Sliced almonds
*Bakers' percentages allow you to easily scale the recipe up and down
- Baking sheets
- Mixing bowls
- Stand mixer
The scale is important! Accurate measurements are best done by weight and not by volume.
Preparing the Dough
1) Sift and combine the cake flour and milk powder in a bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
2) Combine sugar, butter, and salt in the mixer and beat at medium speed until combined
2.1) Does it stick to your finger? If yes the consistency is good.
3) Beat egg together with the ammonium carbonate and add to the mixing bowl. Mix on low until combined.
4) Add dry ingredients and continue mixing
5) Add almond extract and mix until all ingredients are well combined
6) Roll out dough and cut into 20 gram pieces
7) Roll each piece into a ball and place 15 per baking sheet and insert four almond slides vertically
8) Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow cookies to cool then begin chomping.
Thumbs up for this cookie!