Who doesn't like balls? Especially when their filled with meat or something sweet? Nobody I say! Nobody! Learn how to create your own sphere of happiness in our first recipe with videos!
This recipe is focused on a meat filling, the sesame filling will be covered in a future post.
Ingredients for the Rice Balls
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup cold water? (need to clarify)
- 1 cup warm water? (need to clarify)
Ingredients for the Meat Filling
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fried shallot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Meat Filling Instructions
1) Split pork into two equal portions
2) Heat a frying pan to medium-high and add one portion of pork and all other ingredients
3) Cook thoroughly then remove from heat and cool to room temperature
4) Combine cooked pork with remaining uncooked portion
5) Mix until it turns into a sticky pile of pork
Rice Ball Instructions
0) We like the Blue Star Mochiko brand of rice flour from Koda Farms
1) Combine flour and warm water
2) Stir until combined
4) Add cold water and kneed into a ball
5) Store ball in both plastic wrap and a zip lock bag in the refrigerator if not using immediately.
Their Powers Combined
1) Roll meat filling into meatballs
2) Convert singular rice ball into multiple miniature rice lumps
3) Shape lumps into balls
4) Press balls into a cup-like structures and encapsulate the meatball. Ensure seams are minimized to avoid premature leakage.
5) Place balls in boiling water or a soup base. They're ready to eat after ~5-10 minutes of cooking.